Friday 22 August 2014

Kobe Station Review : Pancakes. Donburi. Bento.

Hey everyone :D (I have to change up the ladles and jellyspoons greeting every now and then, yes?)

Jia here agaaaain(really rethinking this partnership). Another short post this time!! Will probably have a lot of these for snacks that may or may not count for meals.
Anyway, I ate at this place this afternoon as a snack after uni because I was really hungry for some reason(Maybe I'm growing, yay! Just hope it's upwards and not sideways haha). I see this place in the Newmarket Train station square sometimes when I end up there and I'm always quite curious about it. So today, I finally tried it.






Atmosphere





The atmosphere, as with most Japanese eateries, is created by the decorations. In this little store they had large prints of places in Japan(I believe the middle image is Hokkaido, possibly? Another wall had a picture of Tokyo at night time I think), little banners and fans. The dark wooden structure also adds to the Japanese atmosphere of the place somehow. It was a fairly simple design. There were to tables to sit at and the window bar to sit at. It was very quiet, but I think that applies to majority of the square. There wasn't much you could do with the place to be honest.

Food

I had a pancake because I was curious as to whether it would be like the Korean pancake place in town. I had a Teriyaki chicken pancake. I expected just chicken but it came with vegetables in it too, which was a pleasant, healthy surprise. From what I could see and taste, I gather it was cabbage, and some carrots strands. Since I was having Teriyaki chicken I thought it would be appropriate to have Teriyaki sauce too(There were other choices but I wanted this). I couldn't really taste the chicken over the vegetables though and I found that a little weird. However it was quite nice, and about the same size as the Korean pancakes from city, just cut up. Definitely not the same pancake texture as the Korean pancake, though. While the Korean pancakes have actual dough thus come out more like a thick fried pancake, this one is more... crumbly, I suppose? If anyone has been to Chinese Dimsum(or as some say, Yumchar), it's a lot like the Chinese white carrot cake(Savoury, not sweet). I also got a complimentary hot drink(choices were miso, coffee and green tea), and I chose miso. It was a tad sour compared to what I'm used to but it was nice, especially on a cold day.



Presentation

As I mentioned earlier, and as one can see from the image above, it's pretty different to the Korean pancakes(yes, yes. I keep mentioning it but I haven't done a real post on it. I'll get onto it next week). Not only in texture but in presentation too. Whereas the Korean pancake comes to you whole, this one comes to you cut up into quarters and then the sauce is squirted on one half, and the other half is then placed on top. I might have preferred it just halved, really. But it does make it easier to eat I guess.



Service

The service was really good, they were friendly and patient. I also like the complimentary hot drink, especially for winter. They also closed the door when I mentioned it was cold today, though that might have been because they were cold. I'll never know. Even if the place was almost empty, the food came out pretty quickly, let's say in about 3 minutes. I ordered takeaway but decided it was cold outside so I ate indoors, and fully intended to throw my rubbish away. They noticed I was holding my rubbish when I was leaving though and insisted on taking it from me, which I thought was really nice. Another thing I like about Japanese eateries is that they greet you and say bye to you too.

Price

 Pancake is $4.50, the donburi is approx $10-15, and the bento is $12. A hot drink is $2. I find these prices pretty reasonable, and student-friendly. I think they try to cater to all the students and business people who go through the station through out the day. I don't really get how the complimentary drink thing works because I didn't see any promotion for it, so I'm thinking that it was just on the house or something.


Rating: /10

Atmosphere:       5
Food:                  7
Presentation:      4
Service:              9
Price:                  8

Overall: 6.6/10


Thank you for reading this far~

Just the one Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment